March 10, 2006

Oh no

So I work in a pub.

Sometimes.

Other times, I work for Kenneth Branagh.

Don't ask.

Tonight, I was working in the pub.

After which, I got drunk. In the pub. It was quite nice.

I have a not quite girlfriend. She's a marine biologist, and she's currently in Honduras saving underpaid fishermen from evil American corporate types. I miss her, and it seems that Kronenbourg makes me miss her more.

I wrote her a poem.

In the drunken spirit of sharing, here it is, with the preface that I seem to have given it in the e-mail I sent her.

I'm embarrassed enough about sending it, so I thought I might as well make it ten times worse by sharing it with the internet.

Thank god I write under a pseudonym.

Gah.

By the way - Belle & Sebastian? Better after booze.

*Bops quietly to self*

If her response is amusing enough, and I'm suitably inebriated, I'll probably post it.

" I should point out that this is not my best work. Most of it doesn't even rhyme. However, it does scan, plus or minus the odd trochaic and pyrrhic substitutions*. So I guess it's okay.

Ode to a Marine Biologist (Absent)
The Woman's gone to foreign climes afar
So I must practise Poesy on her.
The crazy lady's gone to save the men
who fish for lobsters 'midst the Honduran
coast, at great risk to life and limb;
She's brave, and smart, with passion overflowing;
She cares too much, and has a lovely bum.

So, fair gods of seas, of air, and land,
I beg, return to me in one fine piece
Marine Biologist extraordinaire;
A Lightweight, Sweetheart, friend and maybe more
Whose chat and kiss I miss, and whose bum I adore."

*I'm amazed that I remember these terms at all, let alone after Too Much Beer. Yay me.


***Update***

Even in my terrible state, I'm already massively embarrassed to have ever written this, let alone to have posted it. Just thought you should know. The desperate mock-epic style is especially grimace-inducing. Hence the post's title. Will go and lie down now.Mitigating circumstance - the poem was composed in the space in 6 minutes.

That's no excuse, I know.

Bleurgh.

3 Comments:

At 12:02 pm, Blogger mo** said...

JK, you are cute. I hope she liked it :)

 
At 1:07 am, Blogger Cleavers said...

Two things:

1) I am suitably impressed that you were able to compose such an ode when inebriated

2) If I was said marine biologist, I think I'd be very very flattered

3) You put all our other druken blog posts to shame

I know, that's 3 things.

Good job JK

 
At 1:56 pm, Blogger Curly said...

It's beautiful...

 

Post a Comment

<< Home